Digest Processing Steps
- Check RSS Feed for Newly-Published Content
Digesto will look for new content published on your RSS feed. If new content is detected, it will proceed to #2. If not, it will stop here until starting again on the next scheduled run.
- Build Recipients List
Digesto will identify leads with preferences that have a match with newly-published content. This step involves:
a) Import the list of all blog subscribers from the relevant Marketo Smartlist into Digesto.
b) Verify the match of preferences on each person record against the newly-published content for this particular run.
c) If a minimum of one person in the list has minimum of one article that matches preferences: Import recipients list in Marketo - the “Qualified” subscribers Static List.
- Build Program
Digesto will clone the Marketo Program that is connected to the Digest and update the content via my.tokens.
- Schedule Delivery
Digesto will schedule the production smart campaign to get your email delivered to matched subscribers.
- Marketo Web Service for Digesto must be configured with the following permissions: Access API, Execute Campaign, Read-Only Campaign, Read-Write Assets and Approve Assets, and Read-Write Lead.
- Blog/News Feed Articles to be distributed must be “tagged” or “categorized” in your Content Management System (CMS) - Ex: WordPress - with the required dimensions for personalization (Categories and/or Authors) and your RSS/Atom feed must contain these elements in the designated feed elements:
- For Categories, this corresponds to “<category>” in RSS feeds and “<category term>” in Atom. Learn more about feed elements supported by Digesto here.
- For Authors, this corresponds to “<author>” or “<dc:creator>” in RSS and “<name>” as sub element of “<author>” in Atom.
- Subscription preferences for each of Categories and Authors must be stored on the Person record, each in a dedicated field. Values must be stored in a Marketo field (“Text Area” is recommended) and be formatted semi-colon separated value (standard format for multi-select Marketo form fields). Ex: Account-Based Marketing; Data Management; Data Quality;
- For the email to display personalized content, the values stored on the Person record field (for Categories or Authors) must exactly match the Categories identified in RSS/atom feed element (case sensitive). The articles will display if ANY of the values on the Person record date matches ANY of the corresponding values in the feed elements.
- Marketo API limits and fees may apply including the following:
- Daily Marketo API calls: this is typically set to 10 000 calls per day by default. This limit is shared across all web services - increase is available to purchase from Marketo.
- Digesto uses bulk lead export to get all subscribers. Daily Lead Export is Maxed to 500mb. This limit is shared across all web services. Increase is available on purchase from Marketo. (Note: for a Digesto export, 500mb would represent approximately 5 million records),
- Digesto uses bulk lead import to identify qualified subscribers for each email delivery. Lead Import is Maxed to 10MB size. Digesto is currently limited to using this function with a maximum of approximately 250 000 subscribers. You may contact your Marketo Account Manager for more details or to request an increase to these limits.
- Personalization is limited to a single dimension (or single level of category values). Therefore, if you need to use 2 or more dimensions (Ex: Content Type and Category) - all related values must be stored as a string of unique value on the Person record field, as well as on your RSS\Atom Feed.
For example, if possible values are:
Content Type: Webinar; Whitepaper; Video
Categories: Artificial Intelligence; Internet of Things; Robotics,
If an article can be displayed to a person that has ANY dimensions matching preferences, the data on Person record and your RSS/Atom must be stored as semi-colon separated values:
Webinar; Internet of things; Robotics
But If an article must be displayed only to a person that has BOTH dimensions, the data on Person record and your RSS/Atom Feed must be stored as combined values:
Webinar - Artificial IntelligenceWebinar - Robotics
Webinar - Internet of Things
Whitepaper - Artificial Intelligence
Whitepaper - Internet of Things
- Digesto is currently limited to sending a Max of 100KB of content for each email. This typically results in a maximum that varies between 8-25 posts that can be distributed in a single email, depending on the length of the content included for each post.
- Marketo native A/B Testing functionality cannot be used. Legacy A/B Testing should be supported. Learn more about using A/B Testing with Digesto here.
- General Digesto Known Limitations:
- Marketo "Forward to friend" and "View as webpage" links will not work when used with a Digesto email (API method limitation);
- Your Digest (feed content) design is setup once and will repeat for every post with the same formatting.
- The feature to “Disable Clone” is not supported with One-to-One, therefore each email will be sent from a cloned version of your original Marketo Program.