How to create a Marketo program for your digest

This article describes the procedure to create the Marketo Program and Assets required by Digesto to convert your RSS Feed into a Marketo email. You should plan approximately 10 to 30 minutes to complete this, depending on your experience with Marketo.

Step 1 - Create a new Marketo program

The Marketo program is the place to centralize all the assets that are required to create a Digest.
  • Create a new folder to host your Digesto program. Ex: "Digesto Blog Updates"
  • Create a new Standard program. 
  • Chose a distinctive name for your program. Ex: EB-Digesto Blog Updates
  • Additional Tip: Put some relevant information on the description of your program such as: "This program automates blog distribution via Digesto.io. DO NOT SCHEDULE OR ACTIVATE FROM MARKETO. Go to https://app.perkuto.com/login to manage RSS Email."

Step 2 - Create 3 tokens in your new program

Digest uses Tokens to inject in the email the content pulled from your RSS Feed. In your newly created program, access My Tokens  and create the tokens as described below. Make sure you have these exact names in place, otherwise your digest will fail to execute. 

Token 1-  Email Subject
  • Add a Text Token
  • Name it DigestoEmailSubject (case sensitive)
  • Enter Default as a value
Token 2-  Email Content/Body
  • Add a Rich Text Token
  • Name it DigestoEmailContent (case sensitive)
  • Enter Default as a value
Token 3-  Email Content/Body for Text-Only Email
  • Add a Rich Text Token
  • Name it DigestoEmailContentText (case sensitive)
  • Enter Default as a value

Step 3 - Create an email

Create a new email using the template of your choice. If you don't have a template of your own, check out this article for free email templates, best practices and samples of custom emails we can help you build for free. We suggest you name it Digesto Email.  Then add the following elements:

HTML Body/Content Section
  • Edit the HTML element by adding the token DigestoEmailContent. It should look something like this: {{my.DigestoEmailContent:default=}}
Text  Body/Content Section
  • Edit the Text element by adding the token DigestoEmailContentText. It should look something like this: {{my.DigestoEmailContentText:default=}}
Subject/Title Section
  • Optionally you can tokenize your Email Subject/Title by inserting the token DigestoEmailSubject in your email subject and/or title. This token will be populated with the Title of the latest post and + more if there is multiple new posts. Ex: This week on Feed Me Buzz:{{my.DigestoEmailSubject:default=}}

Tips: make sure to approve your email when done with your edits. 

Step 4 - Create a campaign and a test campaign

Digesto uses the Marketo API to schedule smart campaigns. One campaign is dedicated to test your digest, while other will be used for the real campaign. Here is how to set this up.

Under your Digesto program, create a new smart campaign named Send Email TEST, where:
  • Smartlist = Specify your Test leads/internal seed list (Ex: using email address filter)
  • Flow = Send Email : Digesto Email
  • Schedule =  Important: Set campaign to run Every Time, but do not schedule it from Marketo.

Under the same program, create a new smart campaign named Send Send Email, where:
  • Smartlist = Point your subscribers - this is unique to you, based on the method you use to identify subscribers. 
  • Flow = Send Email : Digesto Email
  • Schedule = Important: Set campaign to run Every Time,  but do not schedule it from Marketo.

! Important ! Both campaigns should remain as batch campaigns without any schedule - Digesto will schedule the campaign runs, based on the Digesto Schedule. 

Congrats, you are done!

Next:
Step 2 - Connect your Marketo account to Digesto
<< Back to Digesto - Getting Started Home

Feedback and Knowledge Base